My dear uncle, George Millard, celebrated his 90th birthday this summer and is selling off some of his amazing collections. He’d like to be able to have his helper come more often.
We’re starting off with some of his wonderful collection of Peter Leach pottery. “You were friends with him, right?” I asked him. “Still am, we get together with our group of guys once a month – well it’s been a while now since I’ve seen them…”
Please see below for our first wave of George’s treasures. Please let me know if you are interested in anything before I list them on Etsy. Free local Twin Cities delivery.
Quatrefoil Basket with Bamboo Handle $180
- Such a great serving piece or the perfect fruit bowl for your mid-century house.
- Dimensions: 8-1/2″ diameter x 2″ depth x 6-3/4″ handle height
- Great semi-matte glaze with speckles
- Some wear on the handle
I love Peter’s wonderful finger marks – such large potter’s hands! And you can tell this is an older piece because it has his older style “PL” mark
2. Textural Pot $300 SOLD
- Fabulous piece with interesting geometric texture and two pulled side handles
- Dimension: 9-3/4″ diameter
- Light grey glaze with flecks and great finger marks
- Great condition and wonderful finger marks
3. Lidded Ginger Jar $450
- Such a gorgeous piece with a lid and two side handles
- Dimensions: 10-3/4′ height (9-1/2″ height without lid) x 7″ bottom diameter
- Matte light grey glaze with a darker glossy glaze inside of the pot and lid. Nice accent glaze and a touch of blue underglaze near the finger marks
- Great condition
4. Cooking pot $140
- Wonderful warm, textural glaze on the pot. Two pulled handles
- Dimensions: 7-1/2″ diameter x 3-1/2 height
- No lid
5. Pot with handle $100 SOLD
- A classic Peter Leach form, great for serving
- Overall length with handle: 9″ (6-1/2″ diameter) x 2-3/4 height
- Wonderful glaze with a hollow handle and a pull
6. Pot with handle and pouring spout $120 SOLD
- Hollow cone handle and pouring spout
- 8-1/4″ long including handle x 7″ with pouring spout x 4-3/4″ height
- Perfect condition with nice finger marks
7. Ginger jar (no lid) $280
- Beautiful large ginger jar pot. Lid is missing but perfect as a large flower vase
- Dimensions 9-1/4″ tall x 6-3/4″ diameter bottom
8. Set of 4 Mugs $100 SOLD
- 4 mugs in great condition
- Dimensions: 4 – 4-1/2″ height x 3 – 3-1/2″ diameter
9. Pair of Mugs #1 $40 SOLD
- Such nice mugs in Peter’s classic style. Yes, there is some wear on the handles but it doesn’t really detract when you think about it as part of the history of the piece. George and Patty had so many friends and visitors over the years.
- Dimensions: 3-1/2″ height x 3″ diameter
10. Mug #2a $25 SOLD
- Great condition, glaze and finger marks
- 3-1/2″ high x 3″ diameter
11. Pair of Mugs #2 $40 SOLD
- Nice mugs with a little wear on the handles.
- Dimensions: 3-1/2″ height x 3″ diameter
12. Mug #3 $25 SOLD
- Perfect condition with an incised gestural texture and lovely blue grey glaze
- Dimensions; 4″ height x 3-1/4″ diameter
George Millard spent his career helping people in developing nations bring their hand-crafted products to the North American market. He served as a Peace Corps Country Director in Uruguay and Peru and his extensive field experience includes consultancies in Asia, the South Pacific, Africa, South America, Central America, and the Caribbean.
He has also served as a consultant for United Nations Development Program (UNDP), US Agency for International Development (USAID), Cooperative for American Relief Everywhere (CARE), Acociacion de Artesania y Moda (ADAM), Fund for Research and Investment for the Development of Africa (FRIDA), Inter-American Foundation (IAF), and the Kingdom of Lesotho Handcrafts.
George has a BA from Brown University and a MBA and Ph. D. from University of Minnesota. He taught at the University of Saint Thomas, is best friends with Vice President Walter F. “Fritz” Mondale and wrote a book about his grandfather’s adventures in the badlands.
He was married to my aunt Patty and has four children, five grandchildren and many nieces and nephews to whom he serves as an inspiration, wealth of information and amusement. There are few more lovable and kind people on the planet and I feel honored to help him find homes for his treasures.